Saturday, April 28, 2012

Roses, Roses, Roses

Last year I was running into K-mart and stopped to take a look at the sidewalk clearance racks.  I found these two pink v-neck t-shirts for $2 each.  It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with them, but I am so glad I took my time because I LOVE the end result--definitely worth the wait!

I took one of the shirts and cut the sleeves off. 


Then, following the curve of the sleeve,  I cut strips approximately 1/2 inch wide.


I only cut the strips from one sleeve because I wanted to use the other sleeve for a few circles.

Remember how I like to make circles?  Cut a square, trim the corners then trim around a little more to make a circle.  I cut three circles.

For the next step, I took a circle and a strip of the sleeve fabric.  Put an end of the strip onto the center of the circle and stitched a few stitches (backstitch).  Then, with the needle down, lift the pressure foot and turn the circle about 1/16 of a turn and gently pull the strip to the side and stitch.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.  What?!  That was hard to follow?  Ok, I figured it would be so I made a video tutorial.  Sometimes it is so much easier to just see it done. :)  It's a little long, but you'll get the idea within the first few minutes.  The whole of the video offers advise and tips on making it an easy going project and how to keep going once the first strip ends.



At the end of the video, we are left with this flower.  See, the top right edge of the base circle shows.  It doesn't look too bad, but I felt like there was a little too much there....

So I simply just trimmed it off.


I made three circles (the top circle was the first I made and I pulled the strip fabric as I sewed-- I think it was cute but I really love the more ruffly look of the bottom two, so, don't pull too much!).  I placed the flowers on the shirt where I wanted them.


I pinned them in place on the inside of the shirt.  I then carefully turned the shirt inside-out.


I tacked each flower onto the shirt using approximately 6 stitches around the perimeter and one in the center of each flower.  I didn't want any loose threads so I ran the needle between the layers when going from stitch to stitch, and for extra security I made a knot after each tacking stitch.


I love the way my shirt it turned out.


Oh, and for those who may not have a use for roses in their life, if made in a different color or variety of colors, these would make fun monster parts or planets.  Use your imagination. :)

Thanks for stopping by.
I'm linking up to CRAFTY COUSINS!

1 comment: